2021 Employee Benefits
Active Full-Time Employee
All full-time benefits-eligible employees are offered at no cost the following benefits:
- Health Insurance (Board-paid): Cigna SureFit– Free Employee-only Option
- Standard Short-Term Disability (STD) (Board-paid): Plan provides a benefit of 60 percent of your earnings up to a maximum of $500 per week. Benefits under this plan are paid up to 22 weeks.
- Life Insurance (Board-paid): The School Board provides a Term Life & Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) program with Metropolitan Life Insurance Company for all full-time employees. The coverage amount is either one or two times your annual base salary rounded up to the next $1,000.00. Administrators and Confidential Exempt Personnel received two times the annual base salary. All other employees receive one times their annual base salary. The minimum benefit for employees represented by AFSCME is $10,000. Additional life insurance may be purchased through payroll deductions to bring maximum benefits to an additional, one times the amount provided by the School Board. Employees are eligible to increase the life insurance amount to a maximum of five times the annual base salary after the first year of participation in the optional life program. Evidence of Insurability will be required for any increases in coverage. To find out more about Board-paid Term Life and AD&D, contact the MetLife representative at 305.992.7029.
- Benefits Salary is defined by each union’s salary schedule and it is equal to the employees annual base salary
- Benefits Salaries will be updated annually on June 30th of each year
- Benefits Salary determines:
- Employee & Dependent healthcare Board premium contribution
- Employee cost share
- Dependent healthcare premium
- Board-paid Life Insurance amount- determined by your bargaining unit contract
- Disability enrollment eligibility
- Benefits Salary determines your salary band
- Salary band determines the Board contribution and the employee’s per pay deduction for employee & dependent healthcare cost
- Salary bands will be reviewed for indexing on a cycle of three (3) years term, based upon an average of most recently published Consumer Price Index (CPI)
NOTE: Employees may have experienced a change in salary band as a result of salary increase last June and may have resulted in an increase in both employee cost share and dependent premium.
Declination of Healthcare Coverage:
If you have other group or state-funded healthcare coverage, you can decline healthcare coverage through the School District (opt-out) by requesting a change in status. To request a change in status please contact the Change in Status Specialist at 305-995-7183, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
In addition to submitting the completed enrollment form, you must complete the Declination of Healthcare Coverage Affidavit and submit it with proof of other group or state-funded healthcare to the Office of Risk and Benefits Management.
Please click on the Learn More link below for the Declination of Healthcare Coverage Affidavit.
Board Paid Life Insurance:
Board paid life insurance is one of the most valuable benefits provided to you by Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-DCPS). This benefit enables you to plan for the future and provide security for your family.
You can increase your Board paid life insurance amount by purchasing additional coverage and/or you can apply for dependent life insurance. For further information on how to enroll in these additional benefits please call our on-site MetLife representative at 305-995-7029. It is critical to keep your beneficiary information updated at all times to ensure the most up-to-date information is available at the time that is needed.
Please click on the Learn More link below for step-by-step instructions on how to update your beneficiary designation.
If you enroll a dependent in your benefits, you must submit proof of eligibility documentation (i.e., marriage certificate for spouse, birth certificate for natural children) for each covered dependent.
- Dependent Social Security Numbers are required during the enrollment process.
- Failure to submit this required documentation will result in termination of your dependent coverage.
- Domestic Partner of the same-sex and legally married are able to be added on a tax-free basis with a marriage certificate.
Please click on the link below for dependent eligibility requirements.
Review and update personal information as needed:
Your current mailing address and phone number are relevant information to ensure you receive important information, such as:
- Your insurance card(s)
- Benefits updates
- Refunds, when applicable.
It is your responsibility to ensure that M-DCPS has your most current personal information. Please click the Learn More link below for a step-by-step instructions on how to update your personal information.
Your District email:
We will be sending time-sensitive information via email to all employees, if you haven’t accessed your district email within the past 30 days make sure your account is still accessible. If you are unable to access your email account, please click on the Learn More link below for instructions on how to reset your password.
FBMC Service Center
Mon - Fri, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. ET